The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is an English language proficiency test for those who are seeking international education, a job, or migration. Two types of IELTS examination-IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training, are carried out to measure English language proficiency and skills that are important to communicate in English-speaking countries. Writing for IELTS Task 2 includes an essay writing task of 250 words in 40 minutes. The essay writing task is designed to understand the writing skills, grammar, vocabulary, ideas, and reasoning capabilities of applicants. Task 2 contributes twice Task 1 to the writing score. Essay writing tests English proficiency in terms of writing skills, and it is one of the most important and compulsory sections. To write a winning essay in IELTS, applicants must follow the below-mentioned tips and band 8 essay samples. Let’s learn – how to write an essay in IELTS.
Download E-Books for IELTS Preparation
Tips and patterns for writing a band 8 essay
1. Lexical resources should be appropriate while writing the task 2 essay. Applicants should use a broad spectrum of vocabulary with zero errors and complete accuracy. The lexical terms should be used and demonstrated in a sophisticated manner throughout the essay.
2. Stick to the word limit. The word limit for task 2 essay writing is 250 words. Make sure you write a maximum of 260-280 words and not any extra. Quality over quantity will matter in writing a winning essay. Don’t waste time on writing extra; instead, take time to draft a brilliant introduction and conclusion.
3. The essay should be coherent and cohesive. The ideas and information should match with one another throughout the essay. Compose the ideas and details in an organized manner following the instructed format. The essay writing should be cohesive. When the information is cohesive, you will not require too many connectors or linking words to connect sentences.
4. Increase the readability of the essay by organizing the entire 250-word essay into small paragraphs. It will attract attention and increase readability. Avoid writing a 100-word-long paragraph at a stretch. Short paragraphs and sentences are good and crisp.
5. Read the question well, to understand the expectations of the examiner and maintain a unique and ideal write-up. Choose the right words to draft a 250-word length descriptive essay that meets the relevancy and purpose of the question.
6. Use positive words. Even if you don’t support the question and speak against the statement, you cannot use negative words or disrespect the opinion of anyone else. It will be a neutral statement where you just need to talk about your opinion and support your statement with enough ideas, justification and add on some real-life experiences to make it a winning essay.
7. An accurate and rich vocabulary is important to write a winning IELTS essay that can give a band 8. Read and listen to magazines, newspapers, articles, and journals to get some good words that you can use in the write-up. Do not use common and daily used words. The way you talk randomly with your friends is not the way that you draft your IELTS task 2. It needs good words to increase the quality of the essay.
8. Follow the format. The essay has three main parts: introduction, body, and conclusion. The introduction and conclusion are very important. The examiner should be able to figure out the entire content and purpose of the essay by reading the starting lines of the introduction. Effectively close your essay. The conclusion is an important part of the essay.
9. Work on grammar. The essay should be grammatically correct. Don’t make major grammatical mistakes. Read your essay once after completing it. You will be able to scan various minor and major errors that can bring down your band. Always set aside some time to read before submitting the essay.
Learn More About IELTS
Check Eligibility for IELTS
Check your eligibility and learn more about the IELTS examCheck Eligibility for IELTS
Get Free IELTS Consultation
Want to get a free consultation on the IELTS exam? Fill the form.Get Free IELTS Consultation
Sample IELTS Essay Writing Task 2
Crime is a big problem in the world. Many people think that nothing can be done about crime to prevent it. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give your own opinion.
Ever-increasing crime is irrefutably one of the most overarching and major issues every country is facing in recent times. Although many people believe that nothing can be done to prevent crime, I believe that crime can be controlled by treating it as the main issue and executing the measures differently.
While many people believe that common crimes such as robbery, theft, murder, hate crimes, and others cannot be regulated, I think that Government can control it up to a great extent by making strict rules. Making strict rules and compelling citizens to religiously abide by them will instill the fear of punishment in people. Also, severe punishments like longer imprisonment will discourage people to indulge in common crimes and thus it will reduce crime significantly. For instance-lifetime imprisonment for murders or sexual assault will make people think twice before committing such crimes, which will ensure less crime in society.
The second major change the Government of every country needs to ensure is the basic rights of health, housing, and education to reduce the crime rate. Substandard living conditions are the main reason why many people gravitate toward committing various crimes and hence ensuring basic facilities for everyone will reduce the crime considerably.
To conclude, I feel that the only logical solution to preventing criminal activities is through appropriate action taken by the government and society.
The English language is the medium of communication in English-speaking countries. The IELTS Writing section focuses on the skills required for writing, in terms of vocabulary, grammar, and writing style. Writing task 2 is an essay. It is a descriptive essay that evaluates grammar, ideas, opinion, format, fluency, and structure. To write a winning essay, refer to the sample and tips provided above.
Download IELTS Preparation Guide For Free
Get to know about the latest updates on the IELTS Exam, Eligibility, Preparation Tips, Test procedure, Exam Pattern, Syllabus, Registration Process, Important Exam Dates, and much more!! This guide is a one-stop solution for every IELTS Aspirant who aims to crack the exam with an impressive band score.
Important ExamsIELTS Exam PTE ExamGMAT Exam TOEFL Exam SAT ExamACT ExamGRE Exam Duolingo English Test
Important Resources for IELTSIELTS Band Score ChartHow to get 8 band in IELTSTypes of IELTS ExamAverage IELTS ScoresIELTS Score for USAIELTS Reading Band ScoreIELTS Bar GraphWriting Task 1 Line GraphCollocation for IELTSIELTS Reading TipsIELTS Speaking TopicsIELTS Writing Task 2Opinion Essay IELTSImportant Vocabulary for IELTSIELTS Band ScoreValidity of IELTS ScoreIELTS Reading SectionIELTS Essay Writing SamplesEssay on Historical PlacesHow to Postpone IELTS ExamIELTS Score for New Zealand PRHow to Make Complex Sentences in IELTSIELTS Test Report formHow Many Times IELTS Exam is Conducted in a YearBenefits of IELTS CoachingAgree or Disagree Essay IELTSHow Much Time is Required to Prepare for IELTSCommon Spelling Mistakes in IELTSHow to Crack IELTS in first AttemptImportant Vocabulary for IELTSHow to Cancel IELTS ExamWhy IELTS Exam is RequiredIELTS Exam DatesIELTS Online CoachingIELTS Full FormMBA in Germany Without IELTSStudy in UK Without IELTSStudy in USA Without IELTSMS in Germany Without IELTSStudy in Europe Without IELTSUniversities in Canada Without IELTSStudy in Singapore Without IELTSStudy in Ireland Without IELTSIELTS Score For UKIELTS Score For USAIELTS For AustraliaIELTS Score for New ZealandUS Universities Accepting Only IELTS Score For MS
Free Study Abroad Counselling
IELTS Sample Essay
IELTS Cue Card
IELTS Reading Answer
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Fast Food
- Agree or Disagree Essay
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Tourism
- Double Question
- Best Education System
- Easiest Way Of Communication
- Nowadays the Way Many People Interact
- Individual Greed and Selfishness
- IELTS Opinion Essay
- Essay on Space Exploration
- Business and Money
- Tourism Essay
- Problem Solution Essays
- Prevention is Better than Cure
- Capital Punishment
- Environmental Problems And Solution
- Types of Essays
- When a Country Develops its Technology
- Causes And Effects Of Obesity
- Essay Writing Samples
- Art is Considered an Important Part of a Society
- Modern Technology
- Art and Culture
- Global Warming Essay
- Map Essay
- Government and Society
- Essay On Historical Places
- Should Smoking Be Banned In Public Places