Hosting a massive number of students from all over the world, the United Kingdom is a widely popular international education hub. Residence of some of the most prestigious internationally esteemed education institutions and universities, opportunities offered by the UK education system are immense. Highly acclaimed universities, top-quality education, cultural diversity, quality research infrastructure, and vibrant cities are the reasons why a great number of international students flock to the country every year for pursuing higher education.
Table of Contents
- Circumstances Under Which Students Can Study in UK Without IELTS
- How to Get a UK Study Visa Without IELTS?
- Download E-Books for IELTS Preparation
- Top Universities in UK Without IELTS
- UK Student Visa Requirements For Indian Students without IELTS
- Learn More About IELTS
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Popular Masters Courses in Ireland
The decision to waive off IELTS/EPT as a requirement for graduate admissions falls upon the sole discretion of the admitting university and is dependent on, however not limited to, the student's academic credentials and English proficiency. Aspirants should consult with their academic counselors or university officials to determine if they qualify for the exemption. For Visa success, it is best recommended to add your IELTS/EPT results with your application.
The first thing that comes to mind while thinking about studying in the UK is that the student needs to clear an English language proficiency test, i.e. IELTS. Candidates need to score 6.0 or higher to enrol in universities and apply for a visa. However, there are many options to study in UK without IELTS for Indian students. There are universities in the UK which allow international students to study in the UK without IELTS. However, it does not necessarily mean that applicants must sit for another test; a few universities accept applications without any test solely because maximum students scored high in their school or studied English as a major in intermediate, making them eligible. Also, some universities in the UK offer pre-sessional English courses for aspirants seeking education in the country without IELTS. The only score these institutions require is a student’s matriculation or intermediate exam marks, so they need to check whether they qualify or not.
Due to the pandemic, the UK’s immigrant student count lowered, and the government announced the two-year post-study work visa for immigrant students. They can always opt to take IELTS , TOEFL, TCF, or TEF to increase their chances, but they also have an option to apply for a UK student visa without IELTS.
Circumstances Under Which Students Can Study in UK Without IELTS
- If the students have completed their higher secondary education in an English-medium school, they can produce a document to prove their English proficiency. Many universities allow an exemption on this basis and permit to pursue higher education if they can furnish a transcript of a short-term English course.
- Their class X and XII English scores - Since many students study English in their school, it’s common to assume the English proficiency level. To assess this, the university asks for the grade card of classes X and XII. If students have 70% or above, they will be eligible for admission in the UK.
- Online Interviews - Few UK universities ask students to appear for online interviews to assess their skills in verbal and listening format. If the university authorities feel satisfied, the candidate will be allowed to skip IELTS and study directly in the United Kingdom.
- An undergraduate degree in English
- Taking a pre-sessional English course - Students with low IELTS scores can attend an English course for six to twelve months. They are progressed to a degree upon successful completion of the course.
- Taking different language proficiency tests - Apart from IELTS, other language proficiency tests are gaining advantage and weightage in the UK. If students are keen to be exempt from IELTS, they can appear for a Test for English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE), PTE Academic, Duolingo test, or ISE (Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English). If they qualify in any of these tests, Indian students can study in UK without IELTS after 12th. However, it is important for students to consult with the university they are applying to about which test scores they accept.
How to Get a UK Study Visa Without IELTS?
Candidates can get a UK student visa without IELTS if they provide the immigration authorities with a document from the university stating that they are eligible for the visa. The documents they need to submit to receive the student visa are listed below.
- Acceptance letter from a university in the UK (United Kingdom)
- A document attested by the university with the statement that they can apply for a UK study visa without IELTS scores
- The Secure English Language Test (SELT) mandated by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) can also serve as a valid proof of English proficiency without IELTS
Important Resources to Read About IELTS:
Download E-Books for IELTS Preparation
Top Universities in UK Without IELTS
Here’s the list of universities where students can seek admission without IELTS in UK.
- Swansea University
- London South Bank University
- University of Greenwich
- Robert Gordon University
- Birmingham City University
- Northumbria University
- University of Bolton
- University of Northampton
- Sheffield Hallam University
- University of Warwick
- University of Central Lancashire
- Riga Technical University
- University of Plymouth
- University of Portsmouth
- Aston University
- The University of Essex
- University of Bristol
- University of Basel
- Bangor University
- Brunel University
UK Student Visa Requirements For Indian Students without IELTS
On receiving an acceptance letter from UK University, candidates can start applying for a student visa. Upon successfully filling up the application and paying the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS), students need to pay visa application fees of £348. After paying the fees, applicants need to book an appointment at the nearest VFS and provide biometrics along with the application and required supporting documents. Here is a list of the documents to fulfill the UK student visa requirements for Indian students without IELTS.
- Academic documents
- A valid passport
- ATAS Certificate (if applicable)
- CAS letter
- Experience Letters (If any) including offer letter and payslips of the last three months
- Birth certificate
- Medical Certificate from a clinic approved by UKVI
- Acceptable Financial documents - Last three months’ bank statement, Loan Approval Letter from Bank, Fixed deposit Certificates (if any)
- Birth Certificate
- Affidavit of Sponsorship from Parents if funds are held in the parent account
Learn More About IELTS
Check Eligibility for IELTS
Check your eligibility and learn more about the IELTS examCheck Eligibility for IELTS
Get Free IELTS Consultation
Want to get a free consultation on the IELTS exam? Fill the form.Get Free IELTS Consultation
Frequently Asked Questions
How to study in UK without IELTS?
To study in UK without IELTS, students need to furnish proof that their previous education was in English or should get themselves enrolled in a pre-sessional English course. Appearing for an online interview with the university authorities is one of the ways by which students can study without IELTS in the UK.
What are the requirements to study in UK without IELTS?
Some of the requirements to study in the UK without IELTS are as follows:
- Proof of English as a medium of instruction in school
- Having over 70% in English in High School/Class XI and Class XII
- Transcript of a short term English course
- An undergraduate degree in English
- Appear for an online interview conducted by the university
- Be a part of a Pre-sessional English course offered by the university before starting a program in the UK
How to study in UK for Indian students after 12th without IELTS?
Certain factors influence the study in UK for Indian students after 12th without IELTS. These factors would be the Class XII English scores, if the previous education was in English, performing well in the online interviews in which the student’s English skills are assessed, or enrolling in a pre-sessional English course.
Which countries are best for studying without IELTS?
Some of the top countries to study without IELTS are the USA, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Malaysia, and some EU countries like France, Italy, and Poland.
Popular Masters Courses in Ireland
Important ExamsIELTS Exam PTE ExamGMAT Exam TOEFL Exam SAT ExamACT ExamGRE Exam Duolingo English Test
Important Resources for IELTSIELTS Band Score ChartHow to get 8 band in IELTSTypes of IELTS ExamAverage IELTS ScoresIELTS Score for USAIELTS Reading Band ScoreIELTS Bar GraphWriting Task 1 Line GraphCollocation for IELTSIELTS Reading TipsIELTS Speaking TopicsIELTS Writing Task 2Opinion Essay IELTSImportant Vocabulary for IELTSIELTS Band ScoreValidity of IELTS ScoreIELTS Reading SectionIELTS Essay Writing SamplesEssay on Historical PlacesHow to Postpone IELTS ExamIELTS Score for New Zealand PRHow to Make Complex Sentences in IELTSIELTS Test Report formHow Many Times IELTS Exam is Conducted in a YearBenefits of IELTS CoachingAgree or Disagree Essay IELTSHow Much Time is Required to Prepare for IELTSCommon Spelling Mistakes in IELTSHow to Crack IELTS in first AttemptImportant Vocabulary for IELTSHow to Cancel IELTS ExamWhy IELTS Exam is RequiredIELTS Exam DatesIELTS Online CoachingIELTS Full FormMBA in Germany Without IELTSStudy in UK Without IELTSStudy in USA Without IELTSMS in Germany Without IELTSStudy in Europe Without IELTSUniversities in Canada Without IELTSStudy in Singapore Without IELTSStudy in Ireland Without IELTSIELTS Score For UKIELTS Score For USAIELTS For AustraliaIELTS Score for New ZealandUS Universities Accepting Only IELTS Score For MS
Free Study Abroad Counselling
IELTS Sample Essay
IELTS Cue Card
IELTS Reading Answer
- Tourism Essay
- Map Essay
- Business and Money
- Environmental Problems And Solution
- Capital Punishment
- Types of Essays
- Easiest Way Of Communication
- IELTS Opinion Essay
- Essay Writing Samples
- Double Question
- Global Warming Essay
- Nowadays the Way Many People Interact
- Essay on Space Exploration
- Best Education System
- Individual Greed and Selfishness
- Prevention is Better than Cure
- Should Smoking Be Banned In Public Places
- Modern Technology
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Fast Food
- When a Country Develops its Technology
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Tourism
- Government and Society
- Art is Considered an Important Part of a Society
- Essay On Historical Places
- Art and Culture
- Causes And Effects Of Obesity
- Problem Solution Essays
- Agree or Disagree Essay